Monday 30 November 2009

The last day of November and the second day of Advent. A time for looking back and looking forward. A time for new beginnings.
On Wednesday I will be asking the Local Preachers meeting for a note to preach in the local Methodist Circuit. Twelve months ago I would have said that I would never preach! Much too scary a prospect. But the nagging voice won't go away, so now is the ideal time to test that call.
I am very conscious that the ability of a preacher is very much in the hand of God. Without the grace needed to preach, a preacher is, at best, ineffectual and, at worst, dangerous!
Advent is also time for a new beginning for me in another direction. I have applied to the Anglican Dominicans to be admitted as an Oblate of St Dominic.
Dominican spirituality and its emphases seems to "fit" me like a glove. The glorious "To praise, to bless, to preach!" seems to ring out in my soul!